Resolution on Behalf of Mordechai Vanunu
Pax Christi International, May 2004
WHEREAS the right of freedom of movement is declared in human rights conventions, including the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR), and the American Convention on Human Rights (ACHR);
WHEREAS these rights include:
• "Everyone lawfully within a territory of a State shall, within that territory, have the right to liberty of movement and freedom to choose his residence;" (ICCPR, Art. 12, Para. 1)
• "The enjoyment of this right must not be made dependent on any particular purpose or reason for the person wanting to move or stay in a place" and this right "includes protection against all forms of forced internal displacement" and "precludes preventing the entry or stay in defined parts of the territory;" (ICCPR, Art. 12, Para 5 & 7)
• "Everyone shall be free to leave any country, including his/her own;" (ICCPR, Art. 12, Para. 2)
• "Restrictions on any individual's right to move freely within the State or to leave the State are acceptable only if those restrictions satisfy the requirements of ICCPR, Art. 12, Para. 3, which provide that both rights 'shall not be subject to any restrictions except those which are provided by law or are necessary to protect the national security, public order, public health or morals or the rights and freedoms of others, and are consistent with the other rights recognized in the present Covenant;"
• Inappropriate restrictions include "if an individual were prevented from leaving a country merely on the ground that he or she is the holder of 'state secrets'";
AND WHEREAS Pax Christi International concludes that:
• The restrictions imposed on Mordechai Vanunu are a violation of international law;
• The human rights conventions entitling Mr. Vanunu to leave Israel are clear, and he presents no genuine threat to Israel's national security;
• The restrictions constitute an unreasonable burden on Mr. Vanunu who has suffered the hardship of 18 years of imprisonment, of which 11.5 were in total isolation, an imprisonment that was condemned by Amnesty International as cruel and inhuman treatment;
• And since Mr. Vanunu has received death threats and his life continues to be in mortal danger;
Be it resolved: Pax Christi International calls upon the government of Israel to lift all restrictions on Mr. Vanunu and grant him safe exit from Israel.